Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Jarhead


While deciding over what to have for dessert, I heard someone in the near background say – “finish strong” – so I did and ordered all the available desserts half wishing they had more. 

I have been obsessed with desserts in a jar for the past year (particularly cakes in a jar).  I tried baking them in the jar (then holding my breath hoping the jar doesn’t explode), baking the cake in a pan then layering it in the jar, filling them with a variety of mousses, but it never came out the way I wanted it to. 



Apparently, I over-thought it. 
Burger Bar’s line of desserts all in jars plays on the good old flavor combinations that are sure to appeal to most, if not all guests.



Armed with my long dessert spoon (ready to box out fellow Forkplayers Jon and Ryan from the first bite), I watch as they set down the Caramel Vanilla Bread Pudding and the Black and White Banana Split jars in front of us.  It is not what I originally expected.  The first jar was loosely filled with cubes of their homemade burger bun bread pudding, simply topped off with vanilla ice cream and finished with a generous serving of mini chocolate chips.  The second jar had chunks of moist chocolate brownies layered with slices of fresh bananas, caramel sauce, and two scoops of ice cream that stand proud with crown of whip cream and strawberry syrup that just screams out for you to take a bite.  Dessert jars are like your own little treasure hunt, with each bite is a challenge to dig deep and get all the different elements on your spoon, and into your mouth.

Walking away with the diyahe piece/spoonful, I came to a conclusion that good desserts don’t necessarily have to come out all dolled up to hit the spot. Maybe it’s about time I give the glass jars that go through my kitchen a second chance…  

0 comments:

Post a Comment