Monday, October 3, 2011

Peca(n) Boo!: Where to find Manila's Pecan Pies

by Twinkle

A pecan pie is hard to find, a good pecan pie is even harder.

I used to go to Mamou for my regular pecan pie fix, but lately I've been wondering "what else is out there?".  So I've search high and low, got distracted by other desserts along the way, and came to the conclusion that I would hate it if someone gave me a box full of Lusso’s pecan pie as a gift.

The flaky crust, rich pie filling, and generous portion of fresh pecans simply make me cave in and reach for just ‘one more’.  I would go to Lusso just to have this pie.  So imagine how dangerous it is for me to actually have one big box in the fridge, calling out my name.  After having a few mini pies, I realized eating it with a fork just doesn't cut it.  I don’t mean for you to go all ‘Rambo’ at the dinner table (although that would be entertaining to watch), but pick-up the pecan pie with your hands and take one big bite.  I can’t explain it, but it makes the experience of that first bite even better.

It was calling out my name and I answered…

pecan pie + hot cup of tea = sweet beginnings (dessert for breakfast)
Using the same principle for budget re-alignment, I have my pecan pie for breakfast then promised to be good for the rest of the day just to balance out the calories.  Self-deluded?  Maybe, but it makes me feel better if I look at it that way.

Other things I tell myself to justify eating pecan (pie):
1.   Pecans are sodium-free.
2.   1 ounce of pecans = 10% of the daily recommended value for fiber, and has over 19 vitamins     and minerals.
3.   Pecans are part of the elite food group that are known for having the highest antioxidant capacity.
4.   A handful of pecans a day helps prevent coronary heart disease.
5.   I’ll start my diet after enjoying this last slice… (And we all know that’s not happening…)

Since we can now feel better about having a slice or two, here's the shortlist of places where you could find the right pecan pie for you.

                       Manila’s Pecan Pies –  The hit or miss list:

1.  Lusso 
           G/F Greenbelt 5, Legaspi St.,
           Legaspi Village, Makati
           (02) 756-5893

2.  Mamou/Blue Kitchen – A favorite go-to place for pecan pie.



             The Blue Kitchen,
             Power Plant Mall
             (02) 898-0931

3.  Mandarin Oriental Hotel (upon request)
             Makati Avenue, 
             Makati City 
             (02) 750 8888

4.  Calea (Bacolod City) – It's not in Manila but I couldn't resist adding it on to the list.  If you want it that bad, you will travel for pie.
             Lourdes - C Bldg. Lacson St.
             Bacolod City, Negros Occidental
             (034) 433-866

5.  U.S. Embassy Cafeteria – Initially I thought this was just an urban legend but I just verified that it exists!  Chef P says it’s not just good - it’s “soooo ggoooooood”.  This is definitely going to be the next on my list!

6. Dulcelin Gourmet’s Caramel Pecan Walnut Pie
             36 Times St., West Triangle
             Quezon City 1104
             (02) 374-2165 

7.  Marciano's
            2/F Greenbelt 3
            Legaspi Village, Makati
            (02) 729-0467

8.  Tourne’s Pili Pie –  If you want to try the local alternative.  It's not the crust, nor is it the filling that make the dish.  The freshness of the pili nuts used (sourced from Naga) is undoubtedly the star of this dessert.  
              The Fort Strip
              (02) 555-0267







P.S. I haven’t tried them all myself, so if you’ve tried any of the items on the list, and want to save me some calories please do let me know which ones I should make room for.  

5 comments:

wow, mouth-watering, informative and educational! lol, who knew pecans could be that good for one's health.. i approve! thanks! :)

Yum! :) I think I had one a few weeks ago. I miss your pastries... *salivates*

I'll give you another pecan pie purveyor who might just be the best one on this list.

Charley Braga of Crust.

http://dessertcomesfirst.com/archives/7926/

Check out that glorious crust. It doesn't look like she's holding back when it comes to ingredients. Thanks for the tip. Would you know how her pumpkin pie fares?

Have a cup of coffee in hand, and all that's missing is a slice of that pecan pie. With three months worth of love going into that crust, it just has to be that good! Thanks for the heads-up Ms.Lori :)

Post a Comment