Sunday, October 30, 2011

Apple of my eye, part deaux

by Bianca


More on apples, and New York. My roommates and I decided to go apple-picking for Amanda's birthday (she's the one in the red plaid top), so we rented a car---and luckily got upgraded to a BMW sedan---and went upstate to Outhouse Orchards. By the time we got there, the apples left were most Cortland and Red Delicious, as the Honeycrisps (my favorite) had been picked early in the season. Nonetheless, we had a pretty good time walking around the orchard, picking apples off trees, and munching on them as we went along.


However, my favorite part of the orchard was the stall that sold apple cider donuts. I am not kidding when I say that those were probably the best I've had in my life; warm and springy, they were dusted with cinnamon sugar. I may or may not have had three--it's all a blur now. In my defense, I didn't have lunch prior to coming to the orchard.


Now that we've a sack full of apples in the apartment, we've been coming up with inventive ways to use them. Mostly, we eat them raw---I cut cheese cubes to go with them, or dip them in speculoos spread and granola for an easy dessert. Now that New York is coated in snow from an early October snowstorm, I'm glad we went on that apple picking adventure last week to savor the weather and the Van Gogh-like landscape upstate.

2 comments:

Awesome new look. I like the gray-orange Fall color scheme. And my do those cider donuts look heavenly...

Thanks! Was going for sexy and sleek to fit the name "forkplay."

Post a Comment